Export / Import of Meridian Room Files

Discuss the new 3D Ogre engine based client here.
shabadoo

Export / Import of Meridian Room Files

Post by shabadoo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello Devs,

I was wondering if you guys know if it is possible to import the Meridian room files into Maya or 3D max?

My ultimate goal is to get some of the maps into Unity, specifically the Arena and the Streets of Tos. I remember hearing some talk of having the room files converted into a more useable format recently and I was hoping that meant I could find a way to get them into Unity.

If anyone knows how this might be accomplished I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!
Delerium
Site Admin

Re: Export / Import of Meridian Room Files

Post by Delerium » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:24 pm

There's currently no way to convert the room files to be used in other programs, however we do have a new room editor that makes it a lot easier to create and edit rooms which might be what you heard about (the new editor porting was finished in June). What were you planning on doing with the rooms in Unity?

New room editor: https://github.com/OpenMeridian105/GZDo ... ditor-port
shabadoo

Post by shabadoo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:15 pm

I am just learning Unity and having some fun making some mini games.

I was planning on making a little mini game (just for fun) called "Meridian Heroes". Basically a simplified version of Meridian where you could pick your classes and fight it out in the Arena or The Streets of Tos.

Thanks for the info though! I guess I will just have to try my hand at recreating those areas :) I know them well enough I can probably do it all from memory.

I will probably check out that room editor tool as well.
Sha'Krune

Post by Sha'Krune » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:28 pm

I was wondering if you guys know if it is possible to import the Meridian room files into Maya or 3D max?
Yes, it's basically possible.

But you will lose some important ROO information, because it can not be represented in other file-formats.
So building a fully compatible client which can play on current servers is unlikely to succeed this way.

I tried - in the early days of the OgreClient it was using custom maps which were based on exported ROO maps.
The main issue is that the server tells the client to dynamically adjust elements (e.g. move sectors or change textures).
Hence, you need to be able to explicitly address and manipulate these chunks of the world.
But in fact there are more issues...

But basically you can export the vertex and triangulation data from the ROO file to any other vertex-format rather easily.
Exporting the textures and materials is also possible.

Back then, I loaded the ROO using Ogre, then saved the MESH as Ogre .mesh file-format.
Then converted this to OBJ format for 3D models and was able to load the maps into Blender, 3DS Max etc.

You could also just try to use my C# M59 core lib (as far as I know Unity can use C#?) and you would get plenty of M59 related implementations ready to use.
Including all ROO related classes to load them and access the vertex data etc.

Link: https://github.com/cyberjunk/meridian59 ... /Files/ROO