New title: "Protector of the Realm"

Post feature requests or make suggestions here.
Sha'Krune

New title: "Protector of the Realm"

Post by Sha'Krune » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:03 am

Discussed this idea with Delerium in IRC a bit..
Writing it down here so it does not get lost :)

I propose a new title which players can try to achieve:
Protector of the Realm

In short:
The title will be given to the player with the highest kill count on PKs and it will provide a small benefit.

In detail:
1) The title can only be hold by exactly one lawful player.
2) It will be reassigned together with justicar elections.
3) It will be given to another player, if this other player has killed more PKs within the last span than the current owner has.
3) The title will be inscribed like the justicar title is.
4) Both (Protector + Justicar) titles should probably give a small bonus (e.g. on NPC trade prices). They should also trigger some nice NPC speech when entering a room ("Oh look, it's the Protector of the Realm .....")
5) The Protector title will be lost in case the owner turns into an outlaw
6) Need some checks to prevent mule-killing. Also Guild-War kills should probably not count... ?
Delerium
Site Admin

Re: New title: "Protector of the Realm"

Post by Delerium » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:20 pm

Sha'Krune wrote: 2) It will be reassigned together with justicar elections.
3) It will be given to another player, if this other player has killed more PKs within the last span than the current owner has.
If there's no PK kills in a given week, think the previous title holder should keep it? Or lose it, to encourage PvP?
4) Both (Protector + Justicar) titles should probably give a small bonus (e.g. on NPC trade prices). They should also trigger some nice NPC speech when entering a room ("Oh look, it's the Protector of the Realm .....")
An additional potential bonus we could think about is not needing to do faction loyalty (maybe the liege would like to have the player in their faction). Same thing could apply to Justicar for that matter.
6) Need some checks to prevent mule-killing. Also Guild-War kills should probably not count... ?
I guess guild-war kills wouldn't be in the protecting spirit, and they already have an incentive to kill each other. Mule kills will be a tough one to catch, we can IP check or disallow high-HP difference kills from counting but won't stop everyone. Maybe manual exclusion of anyone cheating the system would work?
EvilSibhod

Post by EvilSibhod » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:01 am

I definitely like the idea of not having to do faction loyalty quests. As far as preventing players from gaming the system, I think we could work out some pretty solid checks and balances to prevent it. Honestly I would rather have some false flags not counting towards becoming the Protector than easily cheating it
Sha'Krune

Post by Sha'Krune » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:24 am

If there's no PK kills in a given week, think the previous title holder should keep it? Or lose it, to encourage PvP?
Keep it, not lose it. So if no kills at all, holder stays the same. Title is therefore always assigned.
Because I think losing it is no good for low activity servers, might have no PK to kill in a week etc.
But in fact it does not really matter...
An additional potential bonus we could think about is not needing to do faction loyalty (maybe the liege would like to have the player in their faction). Same thing could apply to Justicar for that matter.
Yes, why not. But I think small NPC cash bonus and some NPC reputation talk on entering would be still kinda cool.
I guess guild-war kills wouldn't be in the protecting spirit, and they already have an incentive to kill each other. Mule kills will be a tough one to catch, we can IP check or disallow high-HP difference kills from counting but won't stop everyone. Maybe manual exclusion of anyone cheating the system would work?
Yes, anything guild-related does not count. And you could also start with counting only one kill per PK each day.
So killing the same mule over and over again would be pointless. I guess we need to come up with a few other limitatons, but it's possible.

PS: Of course you should lose the title immediately in case you turn orange...
Cenasi

Post by Cenasi » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Kinda a spin on hunter vs necro a type of thing .. Might go well when SoTH/Ao3 are instated.

I due like the idea about potential bonus added if the title is obtained; what if such bonus is added to the players guild so i.e. Title grants +5 Melee dmg , all individuals in said guild would have such bonus, which perhaps can be displayed as a buff icon per player. I was going to first say a bonus give to the faction but what if pkers or rivals are in your faction as the title holder, has to be a dividing line.
EvilSibhod

Post by EvilSibhod » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:04 am

I don't think a guild-wide buff is a good idea, it would make it very easy to make a pker guild with one white toon who earns the Protector title. On the opposite side of the spectrum, it just gives a global buff to all hunters instead of the single toon who actually earned the title.
Sha'Krune

Post by Sha'Krune » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:55 am

Kinda a spin on hunter vs necro a type of thing .. Might go well when SoTH/Ao3 are instated.
I see my idea way more close to the current justice/justicar system or PKs vs. Hunters in general, than to SoTH/Ao3.
We could also title it "Executioner" or something, rather than "Protector".

Also I think it should be a personal title, not a guild title and therefore only apply to one player.

There are many possible rewards, however I would prefer those which don't influence PvP balance.
Hence a stat buff is not amongst my favorites.
I like the reputation (inscribed title + some NPC speech) and another small bonus (e.g. no loyalty quest or NPC sales discount) more.
EvilSibhod

Post by EvilSibhod » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:44 pm

We could implement it so that if the Protector/(Executioner) 'kills' a PKer they are given the option of an on-the-spot execution, or sending the PKer to the Jails of Barloque. So if this particular PKer has been causing a lot of trouble lately then that toon will go to jail for a bit - I would just do a flat value though like 1 or 2 days though.

This would take a little more work than some of the other ideas though because it puts the PKer in a limbo state after 'dying' (can force them to phase out) but it would have to ignore them logging off during this time should the Protector choose execution