Buyable gear

Discuss Meridian 59 changes.
King Ragnar

Buyable gear

Post by King Ragnar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:40 am

Meridian has many blacksmiths threw out the land. Wouldn't it be nice if blacksmiths sold gauntlets, helms, scimmys and even plate also ? Blacksmiths sell basically everything now. I understand that many mobs out there drop these items and we can go out and farm them. Many regs vendors out there aswell sell basically everything you'll need and we do farm when needed and buy when needed. Point is, blacksmiths make gear and everything is basically sold so why not add the few things last on the list. BDS and DAFS is another story but I wouldn't oppose to adding those.

my two cents
Delerium
Site Admin

Re: Buyable gear

Post by Delerium » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:09 am

Would like to hear what everyone thinks about this...

The counter-arguments are that having some items as loot drops provides an incentive for players to go out and kill mobs for reasons other than HP/WC building, and also a reason for players to talk to each other (buying/selling items they cannot purchase from NPC). Though it does make sense that those items have to be made by some blacksmith, I don't know if having that is worth losing the above benefits.
King Ragnar

Post by King Ragnar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:36 am

Delerium wrote:Would like to hear what everyone thinks about this...

The counter-arguments are that having some items as loot drops provides an incentive for players to go out and kill mobs for reasons other than HP/WC building, and also a reason for players to talk to each other (buying/selling items they cannot purchase from NPC). Though it does make sense that those items have to be made by some blacksmith, I don't know if having that is worth losing the above benefits.

Lore friendly

Rook could sell gauntlets, hes a vet warrior, all great warriors have BOSS gauntlets
Quintor could sell mystics and scimitars, hes suppose to be the greatest weaponsmith in Meridian and he teaches scimitar wielding
Colhorr could sell helms, hes the towns blacksmith making everyday items and helms for traveling warriors
Fehr'loi Qan could sell plate, hes the best armorsmith in the greatest city in of all of Meridian selling the finest plate to wealthy knights.

This is legit lore, ppl will farm and collect reguardless but this will polish things up for a number of many reasons.
Noah

Post by Noah » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:18 am

Buying helms and gauntlets from NPCs I could understand, since they're such basic items that you can get them even from mummies and there's only really one kind of each available. Having the "best" armor and weapons (stuff with the highest defense/damage such as plate, KS, mystics, scimitars and battle bows) being sold by NPCs doesn't feel quite right on the other hand. Again it's fairly trivial for the average player to get those items, but there's still an obvious hierarchy in regards to these kinds of items that should be reflected in how readily available they are.

Not sure on the BDS/DAFS thing. It's good to have something a player has to trade or kill specific monsters for as Del said, but I don't see why these two items in particular are the only reagents not available from NPCs. They shouldn't be cheap since they're used for powerful high level spells, but the same is true for, say, purple mushrooms and entroot berries or even herbs. At the very least you should be able to get DAFS from monsters that give negative karma. (Lupoggs don't count)
HazZy

Post by HazZy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:39 am

Buying helms and gauntlets from NPCs I could understand, since they're such basic items that you can get them even from mummies and there's only really one kind of each available. Having the "best" armor and weapons (stuff with the highest defense/damage such as plate, KS, mystics, scimitars and battle bows) being sold by NPCs doesn't feel quite right on the other hand. Again it's fairly trivial for the average player to get those items, but there's still an obvious hierarchy in regards to these kinds of items that should be reflected in how readily available they are.
I agree. Doesn't Izio sell mystics, scimitars & helmets? (hold wants too yes?). How does that all work BTW? Is he coded to reset his inventory to have x amount of items every time he changes screens, or is t coded in a RNG way / response to player purchase behavior way ? Also, the items you sell to him, how long do those items stay in his inventory? I'm going to go look this all up on github, but, if someone already has the answers in their head and can articulate them in lamens terms, that'd be nice to add to the documentation - One of many knowledge gaps that does more harm than good to the game.
Not sure on the BDS/DAFS thing. It's good to have something a player has to trade or kill specific monsters for as Del said, but I don't see why these two items in particular are the only reagents not available from NPCs. They shouldn't be cheap since they're used for powerful high level spells, but the same is true for, say, purple mushrooms and entroot berries or even herbs. At the very least you should be able to get DAFS from monsters that give negative karma. (Lupoggs don't count)
It's funny to look back at the 3do/nds m59 economy where it was worth it to sell DAFS/BDS/inkies/teeth/troots <plate was hot as well> to other players (spending half 1/3 of total mana pool for broadcasting + time for players to respond + meeting up to trade/sell). Now a'days, it's not worth it to sell anything to other players. I don't think i've seen any "WTS or WTB" broadcasts ever since i returned to this game after a 5 year break - although i do see The occasional trinket, rose and godgift/event award item trade/buy broadcasts.....but not enough of them to justify a community driven market place. As I type this, I don't know if this is a good thing, bad thing or even something worth considering as we make changes to the game.

I do find myself consuming reagents much more now for both pve/pvp versus 5 years ago, where i'd typically sell most of the loot various vendors, so i could eventually buy DAFS/BDS off other players...and I think that's healthy since it gives players incentives to go and do something other than gain xp and %s - I actually kill kriipas because I want claws to improve elusion... (just one of many examples). But, I still think that the game is way too biased towards positive karma characters, considering the efficiency in experience combined with the superior loot that you get while building a character at GY tos - > cv - > cv throne rome - > brax - > thrashers (best loot in the game by far, and im not talking about the chest). Although, death link + unbound energy just changed that big time in a good, but kind of "lame" way..

Then there's that whole survival arena which i'm sure has a lot of tricks that im not aware of (anyone care to share? :P - we can trade tips)
EvilSibhod

Post by EvilSibhod » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Izzio, buys/sells similar to Pacal. If they don't have enough items in their inventory, they'll generate more (Izzio does have a .8% chance at spawning a mystic sword), but they also buy items from players and keep those items in their inventory to sell.