Few new ideas

Discuss Meridian 59 changes.
Mallevar

Few new ideas

Postby Mallevar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Well call me crazy but I have been thinking of balance issues and reading the boards a lot and seems to me most of the discussion is always around the same basic ideas in place now. I.e. is purge good as is or bad as is, does shal need more cc or any at all, etc etc.

Had some thoughts from someone who is probably more neutral than most who post on some of these issues as I do not mind PvP but do not usually actively seek it either. I hunted as many did back in the way early days of 102 but it was boring and tedious and that part has not changed that I can see.

Anyway to be more direct to the point I see the issues as more than JUST balancing Qor or Jala or Shall or whatever. For me one question has always been ... ok I am logging on and want to go throw something in my vault in Barl. I am not interested in fighting or hunting at this point so what do I do? Well if you want safety you cast yout counter spells (EE, FA, Gort etc) and prepare to blind or heal as needed and take off. Since I spend probably 80% of the time building or helping friends / wife / kids etc do I really want to have to spend that much time to go throw something in the vault? Not really. Same if I want to run to a temple or buy reagents take your pick of mundane activities. How would I change this if I could just wave a wand? Well for starters I would find a way for counter spells to be permanent or significantly longer lasting. Let them still be purged and possibly rebalance their effectiveness but do not make them be cast constantly or suffer an insta-loss effectively.

Second possible help would be to meke opt-out interactive if that is possible. As in if I just want to help a friend or build I can opt out but still not be permanently disqualified from PvP. Let it be a per login thing with a significant time between changes whatever makes people happy, but be nice if there was some midpoint between fulltime PvP whether you are built or not and I will just permanently opt out so people do not PK me. Why do I even suggest this? Well believe it or not to encourage PvP not to fight against it. It is my view rightly or wrongly that many who opt out, or hide when reds are around on servers without opt out, would not do so if they felt safe to go out and build but could still participate in PvP when they felt ready, were willing to gear for fulltime counter buffs, etc. Was different scenario on servers with populations around 100 and many hunters but with current poulations may be time to rethink things. Would this effectively eliminate or greatly reduce random PK'ing ... probably ... but if it encouraged more PvP at end-game would that be so bad?

Last thing I will say is as far as balance issues I see riija as a FAR greater problem than Shal or Qor or Jala. As it stands now I do not see a very good chance that PF'ers or standard 3-school hybrids will win many fights again a Riija / Qor just because illusionary and flecs are so strong currently and dispel will not counter as it once did. Ideas there? Stronger dispel to start. Rebalance weapons to really greatly reflect the stats they are based on? I mean in reality even a skilled fighter that is a weakling is not going to hit you for half the damage an equally skilled fighter who is twice as strong would. Want to be an archer then fine be an archer but if you have 20 agil your damage is 40% of someone with 50 aim. Make stat choices all have a real impact on balance.

Thanks for reading, and this is just one opinion of course and I could be wrong totally, but new ideas will I believe in the end make meridian great again not perpetual rehsashing of old ones. It is a great game with a great base to build from but it is not the only online mutiplayer that it once was and it will take a different approach to make new people think it is great and build far enough into the game to become invested in it.
Delerium
Site Admin

Re: Few new ideas

Postby Delerium » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Well for starters I would find a way for counter spells to be permanent or significantly longer lasting. Let them still be purged and possibly rebalance their effectiveness but do not make them be cast constantly or suffer an insta-loss effectively.

Those protective spells do last longer here than they do on 101/102, and the durations on blind and dazzle have been essentially halved. You'll certainly do worse in a fight if you don't have buffs up at the start but I wouldn't call it an insta-loss the way it used to be (except that generally PKers are fully-built 4 schoolers, but can't do much about build choice).

Second possible help would be to meke opt-out interactive if that is possible. As in if I just want to help a friend or build I can opt out but still not be permanently disqualified from PvP. Let it be a per login thing with a significant time between changes whatever makes people happy, but be nice if there was some midpoint between fulltime PvP whether you are built or not and I will just permanently opt out so people do not PK me.

The problem here is it makes the only viable building strategy for everyone to opt-out until they are ready to PvP or PK. We discussed this at length when implementing the opt-out system originally and couldn't come up with a solution that allowed players to opt back in once they had opted out without providing totally risk-free building. I guess the semi-permanent solution we have in place is the 'temp safe' guardian angel that you get for a couple hours if you are PKed while under 100hp, innocent and unshielded (but of course that still disadvantages you if you were helping someone and drop all your items etc).

Why do I even suggest this? Well believe it or not to encourage PvP not to fight against it. It is my view rightly or wrongly that many who opt out, or hide when reds are around on servers without opt out, would not do so if they felt safe to go out and build but could still participate in PvP when they felt ready, were willing to gear for fulltime counter buffs, etc. Was different scenario on servers with populations around 100 and many hunters but with current poulations may be time to rethink things. Would this effectively eliminate or greatly reduce random PK'ing ... probably ... but if it encouraged more PvP at end-game would that be so bad?

Yeah, we'd have a completely different set of problems if we had 10x the population. All I can suggest here is for the players to create guilds, talk to each other, keep any newbies interested and answer their questions when you can. If PKing becomes a problem, band together to stop them or failing that build on opt-out characters while they are online while trying to build up support to fight back.

Last thing I will say is as far as balance issues I see riija as a FAR greater problem than Shal or Qor or Jala. As it stands now I do not see a very good chance that PF'ers or standard 3-school hybrids will win many fights again a Riija / Qor just because illusionary and flecs are so strong currently and dispel will not counter as it once did. Ideas there? Stronger dispel to start.

Dispel hasn't been changed except to make it so you can only dispel the illusions of someone you can attack. You have spellpower % chance to dispel any given reflection or illusion for anyone you can attack, with unlimited range. I don't think we're done with any of the spell schools but moving forward we can make changes two different ways: 1. reduce the power on several Riija spells (maybe removing or rewriting some), bringing it more in line with other schools; or 2. give other schools more interesting options to bring them up to the power/versatility of Riija. In terms of getting PFs on more equal footing, the next part kind of addresses that.

Rebalance weapons to really greatly reflect the stats they are based on? I mean in reality even a skilled fighter that is a weakling is not going to hit you for half the damage an equally skilled fighter who is twice as strong would. Want to be an archer then fine be an archer but if you have 20 agil your damage is 40% of someone with 50 aim. Make stat choices all have a real impact on balance.

Right now stats do contribute but not as much as the weapon itself or the actual skills. We could look at moving some of the damage from the weapons to the stats making it more important to take high might, agil and aim if you wish to use weapons associated with those stats.

Thank you for taking the time to give all this feedback, we don't get nearly enough of it and it's vital if we're going to make well received changes.