Meridain 59 Tabletop

General game discussion, anything Meridian 59 related.
Aerasol

Meridain 59 Tabletop

Post by Aerasol » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:42 am

First off, I am posting this here and not in the Game Development section because I think this is more a project for devoted players and not so much something to divert the time of the devs actually getting work done on the game. And as it doesn't really require any software knowledge, but more a passion for the game, it should be suited for really anyone that's interested in helping out.

Meridian 59 and, more broadly, all other MUDs and RPGs owe their original birthing to tabletop games, such as D&D. The original Meridian 59 community was rooted heavily in a core group of developers and fan base alike from a tabletop background, and I think it's time for our community to reach back to our roots and see if we can stir up some more interest that way by joining forces with virtual tabletop communities such as Roll20. Essentially all we would have to do is export all the graphical resources to be used as tokens and dig into the room editor and generate some nice looking 3D top-down map images for the areas. Since all the areas are essentially 2D anyway due to the way the engine works, they are already perfect to be exported to a tabletop setting. Roll20 even supports sounds, so we could export those, as well. We can directly export all the class-specific stats for creatures, skills, spells, players, etc. from the Meridian 59 source itself just using some GREP scripts and some tweaking here and there. Where most of the brainpower will come into play is how the core system itself will work, like experience and things like that. "Grinding mobs" for experience is obviously impractical in a tabletop setting where you have to keep updating your stats for every encounter, but I think adapting a system to scale it for tabletop would totally be doable.

Some personal ideas I have been toying with for starter adventures/mods we could make available for our Meridian 59 content are as follows:
*The original settlement in the 59th Meridian, before the spell schools existed and when Qor and Jala and friends were still people and not yet vaporized into the atmosphere to bring about a magical balance across the land.
*Konima and the fight against the orcs, a campaign stretching through the bowels of the orc caves and ultimately leading to the settlement of the island.
*The world of Meridian 59 as it stands today, incorporating all of the current spells, skills, areas, NPCs, etc., but played out through the eyes of a single guild rising to power.

We could make all this content available for free on sites such as Roll20 and have some experienced players run some campaigns as DM. I think it would only strike more interest in our community, while also offering a supplemental way to experience it. From what I have seen in just the Roll20 community alone is that there is a large number of passionate gamers out there ready and willing to put in the time to DM and play any new and engaging content. They've even had arguments about a small minority trying to profit from DMing, whereas the majority remains firm in doing it for free as a passion. If we introduce our content into such communities and these passionate players continue to propagate it, I think this could only be a positive thing for our community as a whole. They could act out their tabletop campaigns every week or whenever they schedule their sessions, and in the meantime when they're away from the group they can be hopping on 105 and experiencing it that way, as well. I think it could be a positive evolution of the game to bring it to more people and not even require much work, honestly.
Aerasol

Re: Meridain 59 Tabletop

Post by Aerasol » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:43 am

As soon as I get some free time I can start up a GitHub project and start some templates for the different system reference pages and a couple examples of what kind of graphics are needed. If the dev team here wants to officially endorse the project, we could eventually move it onto their GitHub in the future at some point, as well. But for now I just wanted to see what kind of feedback the community had on the idea first before I started this project alone :P
Aerasol

Post by Aerasol » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 am

I appreciate all the positive feedback so far, but if we could keep this an open discussion here instead of via PM, e-mail, g-mail, etc., it would be great. I do have a day job and family and all those other daily duties, so trying to aggregate everything together from different sources and repeating what one person said to another person seems a bit futile when we have a forum here. But thank you again for the support! I am not shutting the door to anyone's ideas, just trying to pose the best solution for everyone :)
Delerium
Site Admin

Post by Delerium » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:02 am

I think this would be pretty cool, though if you use the 'Meridian 59' name elsewhere you might need to clear that with the Kirmses' (I'm sure they'd be happy to see something like this happen though). I especially like the idea of the original settlement/orc wars campaigns, I think both would make for interesting games.

I'm pretty strapped for time so I can't help directly but if you have any questions about the room editor or anything else I'd be happy to answer them.
Aerasol

Post by Aerasol » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:41 am

Yeah, I'll definitely have to contact them and figure out a new OGL or something similar. But, like you said, I am pretty confident they'll only have positive things to say, as well, after having read some of the dev blogs in the past and their rants on the comparisons between modern online gaming versus face-to-face. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they already have a pen and paper version they play secretly amongst themselves :P
Aerasol

Post by Aerasol » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:57 am

Just as an update to this, I am trying to refine a basic structure we can use for the rule books and game manuals, etc. Ultimately the finished products should be in PDF just to keep them universally accessibly, but it will take a while to get to that stage and we need an intermediate organizational structure. So once I get the basic structure down, I'll generate a sample for each component, such as class references for skills, spells, monsters, etc., and post the GitHub and reflect some more on how everything looks from there. This post may linger around for a while before I update it again, as I am also busy with other things at the moment, but that's where I am now. Once I have a working structure and samples to make an adequate presentation for the Kirmse bros., I'll send them over a proposal and see how it turns out :)