Classic Client Problem

General game discussion, anything Meridian 59 related.
Odwin

Classic Client Problem

Post by Odwin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:10 am

Hello,

my Classic Client worked fine but now it's broken. So i decided to download the ZIP and try the "fresh" Client but it doesn't work too. Windows 10. Any ideas?

And i can't download the MSI-Installer of the Classic Client. The Download start but then it fails.

I tried to deactivate my AntiVirus but it doesnt work either.

The Client always look like this Screenshot of it:

Odwin

Re: Classic Client Problem

Post by Odwin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:15 am

Ok, got it. It's Avast, it says "merintr.dll" is W32:Malware and it removes this file.

Edit: Avast worked in "silence mode", so i didn't get any notice of that. Don't know, why it always was fine but since yesterday it remove this file. And when i re-install or unzip the Client files, it removes the .dll without any notice. So when i tried to deactivate Avast, i just did it before i run the game, not before i re-install or unzip the Client files. That was my mistake. ;)
Delerium
Site Admin

Re: Classic Client Problem

Post by Delerium » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:17 am

Some anti virus software will flag the exe or dlls as a virus/trojan, it's a false positive (usually says something like Win32.Generic). This isn't unexpected as unfortunately if the AV companies don't know the origin of the files (i.e. we're not some big game dev company) and the files do things like edit .ini settings or download game assets from the internet, they are overly cautious and flag them as viruses.

If you want to be totally sure a file is safe you can submit it to an online scanner like https://www.virustotal.com/ which will scan it with multiple virus scanners.